The MTV Movie Awards came back for the 25th year in a row to celebrate the movies you’ve actually seen. This year’s show began in apocalyptic style, with hosts Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart riding down the red carpet on a flaming car adorned with skulls and scrap metal. An entourage of ghastly warriors marched ahead, wielding assorted weapons and leering at the crowd.
The parade from the underworld paid homage to 2015’s Mad Max: Fury Road—and kicked off a bold night of pyrotechnics, paparazzi, and Golden Popcorn.
Check out just some of the incredible moments:
- Inside Out Actress Amy Poehler won the Golden Popcorn for Best Virtual Performance—but she’s going to pretend it’s for “Best Dance Moves during the Commercial Breaks.”
- Melissa McCarthy may have crowd-surfed her way to the stage to accept the Comedic Genius Award, but her poignant speech was no laughing matter. “In all seriousness, I may be the first woman to receive this award, but I am certainly not the first woman to deserve it.” McCarthy went on to thank the legions of funny women who came before her—including her mom.
- The Lonely Island performed a medley of iconic Will Smith tunes—including the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song and “Parents Just Don’t Understand.” To complete the 90s throwback, Andy Samberg and the gang wore whimsical, neon-patterned shirts, denim overalls, and dark shades.
- Generation Award-winner Will Smith may have been in the business for 30 years, but he said his youngest fans simply know him as “Jaden’s dad.”
- The cast of Star Wars: The Force Awakens took a break from saving the galaxy to accept the Movie of the Year Award.
Visit MTV.com to watch these moments and more.